Pleased to meet you - my name is Katja Heimann-Kiefer.
Back in my schooldays, I was one of those who were good at languages and science. This fact not only made school immensely rewarding for me – it eventually became the key to my professional future too. I soon realised that neglecting one of your talents is a recipe for unhappiness, so I chose a profession which allowed me to make equal use of my penchant for languages and my interest in science.
Now I'm a text expert: a technical translator, a software localisation veteran, a junkie for the written word, a fan of clear language and a full-time perfectionist.
In our joint projects, I use my knowledge and experience to ensure your text has the desired effect. I give you the advice you need, point out potential problems and recommend solutions that make sense. I do my job properly, you see. I work for you, but I’m happiest of all when I’m working with you too. This is because we can only get good results if we work together as a team.
And good results are my goal.
If they’re your goal too, don’t hesitate to contact me. I’ll be glad to help you.
The “technical data”: my qualifications …
- 1994: University degree as technical translator, University of Hildesheim, Germany
Specialist subjects: mechanical and electrical engineering, 1989/90
foreign studies at Dublin City University, Ireland
- 1993: Certificate for technical writing, University of Hildesheim, Germany
- 2005: Training Module 1 according to the guidelines of DGSV (German Society for Sterile Supply), certificate as Technical Sterilisation Assistant
- 2019: Professional copywriting (German media academy, Akademie der deutschen Medien)
- Continuing education, a selection: Transcreation (BDÜ), SEO (VFLL), Basics of Easy German (“Leichte Sprache”), Creative text-writing, “USP, Claim & Headline”, Bacteria and antibiotics (BDÜ), Environmental measurements, Home and building automation (BDÜ), Endoscopy (BDÜ)
… and lots of experience!
- 1994–1998: Lived and worked in Ireland
Employed by two major translation/localisation companies
Responsibilities: Translation, coordination of mono- and multilingual projects, management and quality assurance of work done by external translators, terminology work
- 1998–present: Self-employed as a translator in Germany
- Selected projects which I successfully completed for direct clients and agencies:
- Creating and maintaining software documentation (HTML format) for two products
- Writing newsletter articles for a pump manufacturer
- Writing a manual for a gourmet service
- Translating and correcting scientific articles for an instrument sterilisation journal
- Editing training material in the field of instrument reprocessing
- Translating various instructions for use for med-tech products
- Translating and editing a variety of marketing documents for numerous IT suppliers
- Translating the website, apps and help articles for a family research company
- Translating training material for sales staff
- Spring 2014: Teaching assignment at Hildesheim University for the translation of technical texts from English into German as part of the Master’s course “Language and Technology”
- BDÜ: German association of translators and interpreters, www.bdue.de
- VFLL: German association of freelance editors, www.vfll.de
- DGSV: German association for sterile processing, www.dgsv-ev.de